Heathy and Delicious!
I've been hearing talk of charcoal a lot more lately. I think mostly in the past year, it's been blown up and people have been using it more publicly for health–and for good reason! Activated Charcoal has many health benefits, including hangover relief (how many of you are saying "YES"? I know I am...), teeth whitening, skin and body health, etc. Though, it has been said to interfere with some medications. If you'd like to know a little more about charcoal and it's pros & cons, find some answers here, and be sure to do some research as well as check with your doctor before using.
What I'm sharing today is a vanilla chai with a twist of charcoal. Think of it more as a detox latte than a sweet one. Something about the black makes it feel like a much more ominous drink than usual, but the health benefits are AMAZING! It is a great avenue for getting charcoal in your life–without really tasting it.
- 2/3 cup milk (I used Almond Milk)
- 2 tsp Organic Masala Chai
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 tsp ground black peppercorn
- 1/2 tbsp ground ginger, OR 1 in. piece of ginger, unpeeled, and cut into 1/4 in. slices and smashed
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp activated charcoal, OR 1 capsule of charcoal
- tiny pinch or 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp honey
* Because the Masala Chai has ginger root and cardamom pods, if you'd like your chai a little less spicy, don't add the fresh or ground ginger to the mix. You can also skip the peppercorn if you're sensitive to pepper.
1.) Combine the milk, Organic Masala Chai, cinnamon stick, ground peppercorn, ginger and vanilla in a small saucepan.
2.) Bring the mixture up to a boil, then lower to a simmer and cover. Cook over very low heat for 5 minutes.
3.) Put the activated charcoal, sea salt, and honey in a powerful blender.
4.) Strain the chai mixture directly in and blend for 1 minute, or until creamy and frothy.