What Is Mullein? Benefits, Side Effects, Prep
Maxwell Finch5 comments
Mullein tea is an herbal tea with significant health benefits. Made from the leaves of the mullein plant (verbascum thapsus) native to Europe, Asia, and Africa – this herb has been used for centuries for its significant medicinal properties.
Mullein has a soft sweet taste similar to peppermint, making it an easy to enjoy wellness tea for coughs, colds, bronchitis, and more. Mullein is one of our most popular herbal teas and for a good reason! In this post, I’ll talk about mulleins' benefits, side effects, and where you can buy mullein!
Health Benefits Of Mullein
Mullein For Lung Health
Mullein has been shown to aid in respiratory problems including asthma, tuberculosis, coughs, shortness of breath, and reducing inflammation. Mullein is known to possess expectorant properties, which are effective in clearing mucus from airways. This reduces coughs, relieves irradiation in airways.
Mulleins Antibacterial and Antiviral Properties
Though more studies are needed, mullein has been shown to hinder bacteria including Bacillus cereus, E Coli., and Influenza.
Bacillus cereus is a bacteria commonly found in soil and foods. Bacillus cereus has a toxin producing food borne bacteria that can cause vomiting, diarrhea, nausea, and abdominal pain.
These benefits need more research to determine their effectiveness, so i'll group them here. Additional benefits of mullein may include
- Mullein may provide insomnia relief as it may have sedative properties.
- Mullein may aid in tuberculosis treatment; however, it should be noted that more studies are needed.
- Mullein may help with skin conditions.
Side Effects Of Mullein
Mullein can be enjoyed multiple times a day without any adverse side effects. That being said, handling mullein can cause irritation in the skin and eyes. Though adverse effects usually occur when handling larger quantities of this herb, we still recommend washing your hand after handling to avoid accidental exposure to your eyes.
No research has been conducted on this herb and pregnancy. If you have any questions or concerns, we recommend talking to your doctor.
Where Can I Buy It?
You can shop for mullein tea here! We offer a sample bag for you to try as well as 1 ounce and 4 ounce size variants.
- Assessing the Effectiveness of Mullein on Respiratory Conditions Such as Asthma.
- The Antioxidant, Anticarcinogenic and Antimicrobial Properties of Verbascum thapsus L
- Antimicrobial Activity of Aqueous-Alcoholic Extracts and the Essential Oil of Verbascum thapsus L.
- Antiviral Activity of Some Plants Used in Nepalese Traditional Medicine